K-or-K

A place for me to share photos, trips and projects with my friends, mostly about knitting,kayaking, and quilting.

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Focus

We've all seen those bumper stickers that proclaim the driver "would rather be ______". I thought about that when I was coming up with a name for my blog. I realized I couldn't decide whether my bumper sticker would say "I'd rather be knitting" or "I'd rather be kayaking." Thus the blog name.

I also realized that one of my weak points in both activities has to do with my focus. It's one of the fundamentals of whitewater kayaking that is never automatic for me; I must always be conscious of the need to stay focused on what I'm doing. It's something I work at.

With knitting, I flit from project to project. I'm often not sure if it's an inability to stay focused, or just that something else catches my attention and I just can't wait to check it out. I know I'm not alone in this behavior. But it certainly makes finished projects few and far between. I've been gratified lately to learn that something has helped me keep focused on the project(s) at hand - namely, the fact that I have been doing something other than following a pattern. I've been taking a more active role in the garment's development. It amazes me that I designed and began the gansey and until our company arrived last week, I knitted on it almost every day. I've just begun the Mara fair isle vest, but I can already tell it will be a similar story. But I don't for one minute think I'm "cured" of the lack of focus thing! So perhaps my blog will be one of the tools I employ to help me along, just as I employ certain tools and tricks to maintain my focus when I'm on the river.

I'm on the downhill side of the ribbing on Mara. Like someone on the list commented earlier, the purl blips bother me. But I can live with them if they're all dark. So I knew I'd eliminate the light yarns from the peerie in the ribbing. I wasn't certain about using the claret, but since I liked the color, I decided to try. I have to tell you I wasn't really happy with that choice at first, but now that all the colors are in, I'm quite pleased. I'm certain it isn't what the designer intended, but it definitely makes me happy. Here it is so far:
















The image is a little fuzzy because I got too close. I have an inexpensive camera. But in this case it's the colors that are important. I hope I'm as happy with my choices and directions on the rest of this vest!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home