K-or-K

A place for me to share photos, trips and projects with my friends, mostly about knitting,kayaking, and quilting.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Dealing with the Big "D"

Years ago I learned that I have a problem dealing with disappointment. My week started out with a letter telling me I'm not going to knitting camp this year. A disappointment with a big "D"! See, I've wanted to go for years, but the first timer's camp is always the same week as my paddling club's annual summer outing, and that's a very important event for me. Finally, this year, I sucked it up and decided to apply for camp, making the mental and emotional adjustments necessary for missing the paddling outing. Then the big let down, and now another mental/emotional adjustment. According to the letter, if I apply properly next year, I'm guaranteed a slot in camp. I'll have to see how the year plays out....

Dealing with disappointment involves several steps for me, and I've learned that I have to go through them and there are no short cuts. The process is well along..... and

I engaged in a littel retail therapy and ordered a Philosopher's Wool "Color Your Own" kit using their Ocean Spray colorway. The sweater will be so heavy that I might get to use it once a year (because I live in Tennessee and it just doesn't get that cold here!). But since I'm a process knitter, and this process is a bit different, I'm going to do it. I promised myself this would be a "techniques" year for me with the knitting needles. Camp or no camp.

Tinking for my Fair Isle vest (this time) is done, and I'm back in forward mode. No closer to steeks than the last time I talked about it. Which means close, but not tonight.

At least I got to paddle on Monday - super day on one of our favorite local runs.

Just for fun, here are pictures of David and me paddling in the Grand Canyon in fall 2004. Nothing quite like that here, but that's fine. I'm really a big water weenie - it takes a lot of mental energy for me to run the Colorado. It's me in the red helmet in Lava Falls. David in the dark helmet in Granite.











1 Comments:

At 9:15 PM, Blogger Sneaksleep said...

Oh, cool! We're going to the GC this weekend, but not to paddle. I'm more used to canoes, and even though I've done whitewater, I doubt I could ever handle the likes of the Colorado. By the way, I found you through Stephanie, of course. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home