K-or-K

A place for me to share photos, trips and projects with my friends, mostly about knitting,kayaking, and quilting.

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Holding the Yarn

A fellow Fair Isle lister asked about how we hold our yarn when carrying with both hands. Here's how I do it.

Left hand:















I control the tension with my pinkie, by curling it toward my palm to stop the yarn from sliding, or loosening the curl to let it slide. This is exactly the same way I hold my yarn when I crochet, and since I crocheted before I knitted, this was a "gimme." If you crochet, try holding the yarn the same way and see if that works for you.

Right hand:















I control the tension by squeezing the pinkie against the 4th finger to stop the yarn from sliding.

1 Comments:

At 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Sandra! I have to try this because knitting with the yarn in my left hand is still new to me and I am still struggling with tension.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home