K-or-K

A place for me to share photos, trips and projects with my friends, mostly about knitting,kayaking, and quilting.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Requiem for a Helmet

Slams on the head, hard and at what seemed to be high speed! I learned first hand last Friday the value of a well fitted whitewater helmet. The helmet is toast, but I'm just fine.

I made a major mistake on a rapid on Big Laurel Creek, which flows into the French Broad River near Hot Springs, NC. Being upside down there was one of the most violent underwater experiences I've encountered. The first hit was immediate and very hard. If my helmet had moved after that one, the next two might have finished me. But the helmet held fast, did it's job, and sacrificed itself to save my head.

Here's my Shred Ready Sherlock, post trauma. Of particular value in the Shred Ready helmets is the special back-of-the-head fitting system, which can be adjusted for a snug fit.



There are barely visible cracks on the outer shell, but when the inside foam is pulled out, it shows white areas which indicate where the material has given way.

This particular helmet qualified for Shred Ready's helmet replacement program; they're sending me a new one at their cost plus shipping and handling. Can't ask for anything better.

My only further comment is to suggest to paddlers that if their helmets move around on their heads, they should improve the fit or replace the helmet!

By the way, we had a great time at our 9-day paddling outing. It was hard returning home without Cali to greet me, and I can tell BC misses her inside buddy. But we're adjusting.

2 Comments:

At 3:55 PM, Blogger Carol said...

Glad to see you were wearing your protective gear! That could have been really nasty.

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Kari said...

Wow. Well glad to hear that you are okay and that you had a good time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home