K-or-K

A place for me to share photos, trips and projects with my friends, mostly about knitting,kayaking, and quilting.

Friday, November 24, 2006

A Time to Ply

Yesterday, I decided it was time..... to ply! I had two spindles full of my first efforts, and it was time to move forward. So, I figured I had enough time to watch the Nancy's Knit Knacks video about plying, and work along at the same time. Viola - my first yarn!!

My camera is a low end model (maybe I'll make a step up this year for better resolution on those up close and personal yarn and stitch shots), so it's hard to see the detail. The gray/blue stuff came with the Learn to Spin Kit, and the green was Cestari pencil roving from Chester Farms. I know, pencil roving is kinda cheating. But I wanted to try it and it does work well if you don't want to draft. I wanted something reasonably consistent so I could actually knit with it. I'll go back to working on my drafting soon. I spun the gray with the kit spindle, which I like a lot. For the green I'm using my new Bosworth midi, which I also like a lot. I plied both on the kit spindle using the Andean method. After I got the circulation back in my hand, it went pretty well; I believe I produced balanced yarns at any rate. I now know first-hand why Nancy cautions you about wrapping too tightly and stressing your middle finger (not to mention cutting off your circulation!).


And for my knitting fun, I've been working on the Aran vest. I'm enjoying every minute of it, even fixing the mistakes. Charley suggested we'd be wise to look at every right side row as it's completed and he was right! I've found several mistakes along the way, and was able to correct them right away, BEFORE they became major surgery.

3 Comments:

At 8:56 PM, Blogger Carol said...

Good for you! Fixing mistakes before they are major is the way to go.

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Terri said...

Sandra,

Congrats on your new spinning hobby. I've used the pencil roving from Chester Farms before and I think it is a great way to start spinning. I've knit felted bags with this pencil roving too by knitting with 2 strands together using I the same green color.

Have fun!

 
At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have not spun yarn before, but it is something that i want to learn how to do. It looks like it would be fun to do.
Also, the sweater is looking good. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home