K-or-K

A place for me to share photos, trips and projects with my friends, mostly about knitting,kayaking, and quilting.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Color!

After a dyeing and spinning class, what would you expect me to be doing???

Rolags from the piles of colored fleece. The carding is progressing, albeit slowly. But I want to finish all of the carding before beginning to spin, since I want to make "designer" yarn - haaaa haaaa! My camera didn't do a very nice job with these colors, but you get the idea.

I brought home some wool/nylon sock yarn, plain white. It wants to be the creamsicle socks, so I opted for quick and easy as my first venture. This is not a bowl of spaghetti, it's the last skein in it's Kool-Aid dyebath.


For the first skein, I used the suggested 1 pkg per ounce, therefore 4 pkgs. Then 2, then 1. Since my microwave oven is small, I had to use a small-ish bowl. I didn't want equal distribution and total saturation. I'm pleased with the results, but there's not a really obvious difference between skeins 1 and 2. Probably because I deliberately let some areas soak up more color than others with skein 2.



And for the spinning part, brown Corriedale. And I actually think I'm starting to get the hang of this process! Oh, I know there's much, much to learn. But I might acutally be making something I can use. I'm really excited about all this!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 11:18 PM, Blogger Carol said...

Cool! When you're a famous designer can I say "I knew her when..."?

 
At 5:12 AM, Blogger hem said...

Wowie-kapowie, you've been BUSY!
Everything looks great. It's so exciting to see all the new things you're trying.

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Kari said...

lol, that does look like spaghetti. I haven't dyed yarn before, looks like fun.

 
At 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Sandra! Looks like you had a great time. I've had fleeting thoughts of trying spinning but not enough to get me started. I really don't have enough room for a wheel.

I bought some yarn to try the kool aid dying process. I can't decide what color I want to use.

Thanks for signing my guestbook. Nobody ever does! I'm trying desperately to finish some projects. I have way too many started as it is and I also have way too many ideas for things I want to start. Sigh. Never enough time.

Take care.

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger anna said...

WAAAHA,Maybe I can help you about that.I love the ugg winter boots very much,last day i purchased two pairs of uggs from a shop,for my opinion,their boots have awesome quality and nice price for everyone,i think it maybe good for you.By the way they also sell Ecco Casual Shoes,they are good enough...What a good shopkeeper I think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home