K-or-K

A place for me to share photos, trips and projects with my friends, mostly about knitting,kayaking, and quilting.

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Washing Orchid

Orchid is a ewe. She's mostly Corriedale. She belongs to Martha Owens. She has lovely golden and gray fleece. I love Orchid's fleece.

We got to spin some of it in the grease over last weekend and I think most of us in the class thought it worked well. We prepared it using the Viking combs. Orchid's fleece was for our class, and we didn't use most of it there, so each class participant came home with her share.









I cruised around the internet and began to realize it would be a good thing not to keep unwashed fleece too long. So I washed it, and now I love it even more.


I prepared little net baggies to enclose the locks.
















I submerged the baggie enclosed locks in hot water with Dawn detergent.
















I hung them to dry in the vicinity of, but not too close to, the wall heater in the basement bathroom.
















I stored the clean, soft wool in a muslin bag, to await further processing. Not sure what that will be.





I love Orchid's fleece. Wool is miraculous stuff!

4 Comments:

At 1:40 AM, Blogger hem said...

It looks beautiful! I can't wait to see it spun.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Carol said...

I like the colours in the fiber. Can't wait to see the yarn it makes!

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Terri said...

Hi Sandra, You are realling getting into spinning aren't you? Don't you just love fiber?

I need to get back to spinning. There is just too much fiber related activities and just not enought time.

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger Kari said...

Interesting. I have never washed wool like that before...that is i have only washed wool that has already been knit into something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home