K-or-K

A place for me to share photos, trips and projects with my friends, mostly about knitting,kayaking, and quilting.

Monday, February 26, 2007

Spin or Dye!

Spin or dye was Martha's final lesson for us after a week filled with fiber fun and more information than one can possibly imagine! I've never had a better week at the John C. Campbell Folk School. From room mates and class mates, to class content, to food, and most importantly, to Martha Owen, our instructor and fiber enabler!





















We began with a mountain of raw wool, sheared from Martha's own sheep, which we washed and dried.





















We dyed wool using natural dye stuffs like marigolds, madder root, black walnuts, cochineal, and indigo.
















We visited the sheep and Angora rabbits at Martha's farm.















We learned to prepare fiber for spinning.














We had an amazing variety of spinning wheels available to us, and concurrent with our fiber play, we all began our efforts at spinning yarn. Here is Kate, spinning Angora from the rabbit in her lap.















We had a good time and learned much. Some of us are hooked and went home with something like this:


7 Comments:

At 4:06 PM, Blogger hem said...

I'm so glad you had a good time! Nice wheel!
It looks like sooooo much fun. And I'm glad to know Martha was a great instructor. Plans are in the works for me to go back to Folk School during Recycle Week. I'd love to take The Recycled Lamb class.

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Terri said...

Wow! What a fantastic class! I wished I lived closer to the John Campbell Folk School.

Is that YOUR new wheel I see?

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Carol said...

sounds like a good time was had by all! The picture of the lady spinning directly from the bunny is great. Although it sounds weird to be spinning directly from the critter!

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Sandra D. said...

Well, it's not directly from the critter, it just looks that way. What she does is brush a handful of fur off the bunny, then it just sits on her lap while she spins it, and waits for her to brush more off. If you held it just right, it would look like you were spinning from the bunny!

 
At 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, does that ever look like fun, and those animals! sandra, I accidentally deleted your response to the last comment I left here, and when I tried to email you my mail bounced back as mail failure. Please try again! I hope you are all set for your trip to NYC and I hope I can get to meet you among the thousands of knitters that will be there. I gather that another friendly NYC knitter took care of you. See, we're really very nice here, not scary at all!

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Kari said...

Wow, that looks like a really fun class. And the spinning wheel that you went home with looks neat. :-)

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger anna said...

WAAAHA,Maybe I can help you about that.I love the ugg winter boots very much,last day i purchased two pairs of uggs from a shop,for my opinion,their boots have awesome quality and nice price for everyone,i think it maybe good for you.By the way they also sell Ecco Casual Shoes,they are good enough...What a good shopkeeper I think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home