K-or-K

A place for me to share photos, trips and projects with my friends, mostly about knitting,kayaking, and quilting.

Sunday, October 07, 2007

We Have Lift Off!






At approximately 11:15 am, CDT, our Monarch lifted off on it's maiden flight, bearing south toward Mexico. It's first leg took it from our fence high into a tree across the road. From there I lost sight of it and wished it a safe journey. Deborah, be on the lookout.


It couldn't have chosen a more auspicious day to emerge and take wing. It's sunny and hot, but with a fall breeze, temp expected to top out at about 90. Same for tomorrow. I noticed last night that the chrysalis no longer looked green, but sort of blue-ish, though the light was bad and I couldn't tell for sure. By the time I checked on it this morning about 9:30, the butterfly was out. (click the photos to make them bigger). I wasn't quick enough to catch the few times it opened it's wings while still on the fence, and while I watched it's maiden flight, it took off too quickly for me to even think of the camera.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 11:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sandra, that's amazing that you were able to capture that moment. I'm impressed! I'll bet the poor little butterfly emerged and thought, like the rest of us, hey, where's fall??

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Carol said...

Oooh, how pretty!

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Terri said...

Wow Sandra, how cool that you are planting milkweed for the butterflies and then to be able to sit back and watch their life cycle.

I see you are busy as ever with your knitting projects. A true inspiration.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home