K-or-K

A place for me to share photos, trips and projects with my friends, mostly about knitting,kayaking, and quilting.

Monday, November 12, 2007

Hither and Yon and a New Hat

I've been out and about and when I looked at the date of my last post, I couldn't believe how long it's been!

The stealth sweater was completed and made a debut in the first ever Crossville Fiber Festival. A fun, small hometown event. It seemed to be well received, and we had a lot of fun. I got to meet many of the local spinners, a really nice, fun group of ladies. And I had a chance to try bobbin lace - more on that in the future, for certain!

Tomorrow will begin the second workshops for the rib warmer vests, the first sessions were last week. Before that, I attended a workshop at the John C. Campbell Folk School with Hazel Tindall from Shetland (can you imagine - the world's fastest knitter?? - Google her name - I'm not kidding)! Not a speed knitting workshop, though. It was "experimenting with color in Fair Isle knitting." I visited Denise. She and Nancy and I went to the Southeast Animal Fiber Fair in Asheville, NC. I headed toward a visit with my brother, again stopping for a visit with Denise for hiking and knitting. Brother visit postponed when it was learned that his grand child #3 was imminent.

And my little camera was either temporarily mis-laid or forgotten during most of this. However, the Fair Isle project from my class at the Folk School is nearing completion.

I used this much yarn:














To make these many swatches:














To produce this hat:














I'm attempting to tame the somewhat ruffled brim. It's still a work in progress.


When I've decided it's done, I'll post another photo.

This workshop was really wonderful. Very much a self directed exploration, with Hazel on hand to guide, explain, assist, and generally share her wonderful wealth of knowledge accumulated over a lifetime of knitting in Shetland.




Edited later: photo of the hat on me. It feels too big, but not sure what, if anything, I'll do about that. It's exactly right in terms of what I intended it to look like. I'm thinking of giving it away, too. It's on the shelf for now while I churn through the options in my mind.


Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 11:00 PM, Blogger Deborah said...

Your items are beautiful - I think you may be happy with hat even though it is too big as it will not smash your hair when you wear it.

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Sandra D. said...

Deborah is absolutely right - no hair smashing! Not even much of a hint of hat hair. I wore it at the yarn shop tonight and everyone thought it was cute. It's growing on me (meaning I'm liking it more, not that it's getting bigger!). Sandra

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Kari said...

I love the intarsia on your hat, the colors look great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home